This recipe from Tip Hero was actually the first thing my mom shared this year but I’ve been putting it off because I was not entirely convinced it was going to be good.
First I gathered all my ingredients. It says to rinse and drain your quinoa before cooking. I never understood why so I usually ignore that step unless I have some extra time on my hands. Today, I did not.
Add the quinoa and broth to a pan and cook on medium heat until boiling, then simmer for 15-20 minutes. The recipe calls for vegetable broth but we had chicken broth so I used that instead.
Everything else gets mixed together in a bowl- eggs, broccoli, onion, garlic, cheese, salt and pepper. Then you add the quinoa when it is done cooking.
Here comes the annoying part. After you grease your mini muffin pan with cooking spray, spoon the mixture in. They say you should get 36 bites out of this but, I guess since I didn’t measure my spoonfuls, I got 35. Close enough. Then add more shredded cheese on top of each bite, even more annoying, before cooking.
I let them cool in the pan and most of them came out pretty easily. I should have taken them out sooner but Josh was in the kitchen and I didn’t want to get in his way. These kind of taste like broccoli cheddar soup. I’m a fan but I think I’ll probably make this as regular muffins or a casserole next time. Maybe even throw in some chicken or bacon to mix it up.
Check out my Instagram @yourmomsposts!
Ingredients & Instructions from Tip Hero:
¾ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 ½ cups vegetable broth
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups broccoli florets, finely chopped
1 cup diced onion
1 garlic clove, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, plus a little extra for the top
1. Heat the quinoa and vegetable broth in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, then turn down to low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until the liquid is evaporated and the quinoa is tender.
2. Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a mini muffin tin with non-stick spray.
3. In a large mixing bowl, stir together all of the ingredients until combined.
4. Scoop tablespoonfuls of the mixture into the muffin tins. Sprinkle a little extra cheddar on top of each quinoa bite.
5. Bake in the preheated oven 15-20 minutes, until browned.